Learn the Difference Between PHP and IOP and the Benefits of Each
Choosing to enter an addiction treatment program can feel both daunting and promising, and with all the options available, how do you know which one will suit your individual needs? Work, family, and other responsibilities can make your decision seem even more complicated. However, a wealth of treatment options, including PHP and IOP programs, can accommodate your unique needs while helping you get on track for a happy, healthy, sober life.
What Is a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
A Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) involves a highly structured outpatient addiction treatment program. In a PHP, you will attend your treatment program during the day and go home at night. PHP is often the next step after detox but can also be when a person begins their recovery journey.
Most PHPs are five days a week for four to six hours of treatment each day. In a PHP, you will have access to group and individual therapies as well as any medical resources you might need. Most PHPs also offer to reside in a sober living environment that can further enhance the program’s benefits. PHP may be ideal for you if:
- You’ve completed detox and are ready to begin healing the underlying causes of your addictive behaviors
- You would benefit from a highly structured environment that is loving, supportive, and conducive to sobriety 24 hours a day
- You have a mental health diagnosis that could benefit from medical and psychiatric care
- You’ve completed an inpatient program and would like additional support
- Intensive Outpatient Programs do not meet the level of care that you need at this time
What Is an Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)?
Intensive outpatient programs are less time constrictive than PHPs. At the beginning of the program, you’ll have a similar schedule as you would in a PHP, but it’s gradually tapered down to shorter sessions and fewer days a week based on your needs.
Relapse prevention is paramount in IOP. You will have access to therapists who will teach evidence-based practices to equip you to manage cravings, avoid triggers, and ensure any trauma you have experienced is being processed appropriately.
Deciding Which One Is Right for You
Every person’s recovery journey is unique and worthy of supportive, effective, and compassionate care. When considering which program is best for you, be honest with yourself about where you are in your recovery. Ask yourself questions like:
- Am I in a place where I can avoid triggers that fuel my addiction? If you can’t confidently answer yes, perhaps a more structured PHP would better suit your needs at this time.
- Do I feel ready to balance treatment with managing daily living tasks? If so, perhaps an IOP is the right option for you.
- How significant is my risk of relapse? If you feel there’s a significant chance you could relapse, you must start with a more structured intensive program like a PHP.
- Are my cravings under control? If you feel like you’re successfully managing cravings to use drugs and alcohol, then you may be a good candidate for a less restrictive IOP.
What to Look for in PHPs and IOPs
This process is likely the most important investment you will make in your life because you’re investing in yourself. Deciding which treatment program you want to pursue should be something you feel confident about. Here’s what we recommend you look for in leading-edge PHP & IOPs:
- Make sure to check online reviews for the facility; this will give you first-hand feedback from others who have utilized their services and give you an idea of the service they provide.
- Is the program accredited? The Joint Commission and other independent bodies have strict criteria for which programs it accredits, so you can rest assured if the program has its seal of approval, it’s a quality program.
- Ask about their staff-to-patient ratios. Having sufficient staff is instrumental in providing excellent care.
PHP and IOP at The Source
PHP at The Source is often the starting point for people right out of detox. It provides comprehensive care in a loving and supportive environment. This program is heavily focused on healing trauma to help facilitate successful long-term recovery. For those in our PHP with the housing program, you’ll live in one of our luxury family homes, located just a few miles from Fort Lauderdale Beach. After completing the program, we will pair you with a mentor who’s also in recovery to help support you throughout your lifelong journey of healing.
IOP at The Source has a schedule allowing you to resume more of your everyday life while ensuring all your treatment needs are still being met. Whether you live at home or in a sober living environment while attending the program, our IOP equips you with the tools you need to prevent relapse effectively.
Fortunately, you don’t have to decide where to begin treatment on your own. All you have to do is reach out to us for help, and our compassionate and knowledgeable team can help you determine which program is the perfect fit for you and your needs. Contact The Source today to take the next step on your recovery journey.